Thursday, August 7, 2014

     After going on the GAPS diet (really a protocol) 4 years ago I began to fall under the mistaken idea that  "grains are bad" although I can't say that Dr. Campbell-McBride (the author of the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome a.k.a. GAPS) ever actually said that in her book or anywhere on her website. But slowly over time I realized I was wrong. This article  To Gluten or Not to Gluten? Rethinking the Gluten-Free Craze explains it better than I.  It had come in my Wise Traditions For Food, Farming and the Healing Arts magazine just the other day after I had (again) sworn off gluten. So I am trying it again but more carefully and thought-out than before and with a more positive attitude rather than one of fear and I must say that so far so good. I can see that if I eat a small amount like no more than two pancakes and not every day then I am able to digest it quite well. Also I am trying to eat just Einkorn wheat, freshly ground although sometimes I succumb to the lure of organic whole wheat sourdough (made with real starter and nothing else). Now if I would just get a grain grinder I could work on making my own long-fermented sourdough like this recipe here Our Daily Bread!

Posted by Ginny

 



1 comment:

  1. We occasionally eat real sourdough, and allow ourselves an occasional grain treat with no known side effects. I think the problem comes when we eat more than we are meant, since the modern diet includes grain in every meal and snack. But like you said, it's the ancient grains we should be eating. Keep us updated as you continue learning.

    ReplyDelete